The are several ways to test for toxic metals:
1. Serum (typical blood draw) – represents only the last several months of exposure.
2. Whole Blood Analysis – a more complex procedure not performed by many labs.
3. 24 hour non-provoked urine – helpful to determine how much your body is excreting over a 24 hours period
4. 6 hour urine chelation – most preferred by practitioners dealing with toxic metals. A chelating agent (ie. DMSA, EDTA, DMPS) is prescribed according to the patients body weight and taken prior to collecting urine for 6 hours. These agents will chelate (pull metals from storage site in the body) and give one a representation of your storage load.
5. Other methods of testing, such as hair analysis, are not accurate in today’s environment due to circulating toxins in thr air, and among people that have either dyed their hair or use chemical containing products.
We commonly do serum testing, followed by 24 hour and 6 hour chelation to accurately assess one’s current exposure and storage burden.
It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT PRIOR TO TESTING OR CHELATING ONE IS EVALUATED BY A PROPERLY TRAINED PRACTITIONER FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
Some individuals with a high heavy metal load, may develop antibodies (immune markers that attack invaders) to the metals. The very act of testing and/or chelating will liberate more metals which risks elevating antibody levels. This is one reason why some individuals feel ill following chelation. More importantly, if one has a leaky brain barrier (which is a protective sheet around the brain that should only allow very select nutrients to cross), the metals and/or antibodies can enter the brain. The blood brain barrier may become leaky following traumatic brain injury (concussion) or secondary to chemical exposure, various infectious agents and viruses.
It is prudent, in many patients, to check ones antibody levels to metals prior to embarking on a course of chelation. If antibody levels are elevated then it is wisest to treat ones immune responses prior to further liberating any metals. Furthermore, our team is expert in modalities, procedures and nutrients that help heal the blood brain barrier.
It is also imperative that ones cardiac, kidney and liver function is stable and appropriately assessed, along with various laboratory marker depending on one’s individual and genetic needs. Should one elect to undergo chelation, then it is imperative that this is done under proper supervision so that neurological function and various biomarkers can be monitored to ensure safety.
The team at Azzolino Chiropractic Neurology & Integrative Wellness are experts in utilizing the safest and most effective methods, whether oral or intravenous, to help fully restore your health and vitality.